Southwark Catherdral

 

Southwark Catherdral

It has been a place of Christian worship for over 1,000 years, but a cathedral only since the creation of the diocese of Southwark in 1905. The church was in the diocese of Winchester until 1877, when the parish of St Saviour’s, along with other South London parishes was transferred to the diocese of Rochester. The present building is mainly Gothic, from 1220 to 1420, although the nave is a nineteenth-century reconstruction in a thirteenth-century style.

 

Share: